True chalkstream fishing for challenging fish!
Founded originally as The Hungerford Club on the River Kennet in Berkshire during the
1870s by a group of leading fly fishermen, the Club moved to Wiltshire in 1891 where it
was renamed The Wilton Fly Fishing Club. Since then we have preserved and enjoyed the
fishing on what is now around seven miles of the lower River Wylye, and took on a further three miles of the tributary River Till a few years ago.
The history of the Club is narrated in John Knott’s book ‘The History of the Wilton Fly
Fishing Club’ published in 2013 by Medlar Press.
We are a small, friendly club limited to just 45 members, targeting mainly wild trout and grayling. The river supports a healthy population of brown trout averaging around 1lb
(c.12‐14"). Each season, some specimen wild trout of 2lbs and over (17") are encountered, together with the occasional fish of 19/20" and over (at 3lbs plus). More rarely, trout in excess of 21" (4/5lbs.) are still caught and released - indeed members carefully return almost all of their catch.